Wednesday, February 20, 2008

do it yourself

Little agitated this morning as I write. Little agitated at us, the people who call themselves Christians. At least I'm agitated at a majority of us. I have recently been preferring the term "Christ Follower" to Christian. My agitation has to do with our ridiculous desire to push off our responsibilities onto others or even off to Christ himself.

I was watching a Rob Bell nooma video last night and something he said just smacked me between the eyes. His statement that got me was "Don't ask God to feed the hungry, if you have plenty of food to feed them yourself." Let that sink in a little bit. We pray and ask God to do all this stuff or we think we are all "spiritual" if we come off our high horse and give a little money to some organization to help the "less fortunate". When in reality a simple inward glance within ourselves would reveal the true/intended instrument of change for others.

So I begin my day with a little righteous angst, a little concerned agitation. What will it take for us "Christ Followers" to open our eyes a little and see that the things we are praying for God to do and the things that we are giving money to others to do for us are the exact things that we are put here to do ourselves.

1 comment:

Johnson5 said...

Wow!! Scott you hit it dead on. There is still such a great need in our world from World hunger to babies dying daily... If you hate injustice and stand for Justice then you should stand up and Tell God here I am Lord not I have a few bucks. We shouldn't sit in our comfortable world and say i hate abortion and not do something about it... there is some much we can still do. All it takes is a willing heart for God to do what he wants in us. God Here I am Use Me!!!! Jesus I am imperfect but I know you can use me. I know You can make something from nothing please make something out of this nothing... ME!!!! I AM YOURS GOD.